Instructions Following Pinhole Surgical Technique
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIX WEEKS
- NO BRUSHING OVER SURGICAL SITE(S) (Do not use cotton swabs, cloth or any soft or hard object to clean area.)
- NO FLOSSING (Water-pik ONLY from tongue side on low setting.)
- NO TOUCHING: with finger or any other device or object.
- DO NOT LICK SURGICAL AREA.
- Do not sleep with hands under the cheek where surgery was done.
- No facial massages for 3 weeks or massage that area of the face for any reason.
- NO LOOKING: Do not obsess over or question the doctor about appearance of gums for 6 weeks. You cannot look with pulling cheek.
- RINSE ONLY WITH LIPS APART: SLOSHING ONLY (no chipmunk cheek when you rinse).
- Do not play wind instruments for 3 weeks.
- No sucking on foods/objects or spitting.
- Do not blow balloons.
- No mints over surgical area.
- No smoking, chewing tobacco, cigar or pipe for at least 6 months. Please consult your doctor if you use marijuana for medical purposes.
- Check with your doctor if you wear any other appliances (e.g. retainers, Invisalign, Perio-Protect, occlusal guard, etc.)
- No clenching or grinding of the teeth. (No heavy lifting/weight lifting that requires clenching of the teeth.)
- No heavy aerobics, vigorous exercising/dancing or physical activity for 3 weeks. (Walking or non-strenuous activities are ok.)
- No facial device such as snorkeling or CPAP for 2 months.
- ICE OVER AREA at 10 minute intervals for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling.
- DO NOT BE ALARMED ABOUT SOFT SWELLING OR BRUISING FOR THE FIRST WEEK.
- DO NOT EAT crunchy or sticky food (like bread) that can get stuck on or in between your teeth.
- No scalding hot drinks (tea, coffee, water or hot soups).
- No triclosan, hydrogen peroxide, bleach or any non-FDA-approved concoctions (coconut oil [oil pulling], holistic mouth rinses, homeopathic remedies).
- EXPECT cold sensitivity for 6 weeks or longer. DO REPORT sensitivity during check-up appointments.
- PAIN CONTROL - Take medications as directed
- CALL DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE UNEXPECTED PAIN, CONTINUOUS BLEEDING, OR HEAT FROM SURGICAL SITE.
- Patient MUST return to our office 1 week after surgery and 6 weeks after surgery.
- After the 6th week you may brush surgical area with special extra, extra soft brush dispensed or ordered by this office for 6 MONTHS.
REFER TO SOFT FOOD SUGGESTIONS PAGE IN PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS
If you should have any questions or concerns, contact our office. Thank you.